Sunday, June 21, 2026

Good afternoon families,

Happy Father's Day, wishing you all a wonderful day today!

I hope you all have had a lovely week! Our grade 1 friends continue to work so hard in classroom. Huge thank you for the organization of our Pancake breakfast on Thursday how fun! 





Our Commitment to Truth and Reconciliation Through Learning on the Land
This year, our Grade 1 students continued to build their understanding of Truth and Reconciliation through meaningful experiences in our school learning grounds. We recognize that learning about the land helps children develop respect, responsibility, and appreciation for the many relationships that connect people, plants, animals, and the environment.
As a school community, we are committed to learning from and caring for the land around us. Together, we will play, learn, and care for the plants, trees, and living creatures that share our learning grounds. Through hands-on experiences, students  developed an understanding of reciprocity—the idea that when we receive gifts from the land, we also have a responsibility to care for and nurture it in return.
By exploring, observing, and caring for our outdoor spaces, students strengthened  their connection to the natural world while learning about stewardship, respect, and belonging. These experiences support our ongoing commitment to Truth and Reconciliation by helping children understand their relationship with the land and their role in caring for it now and in the future.

Grade 1 Learning Intentions
Science (Alberta Curriculum)
  • I can observe and describe living things in our learning grounds.
  • I can identify the needs of plants and animals and explain how they survive.
  • I can recognize how people affect the environment and how we can care for it.
  • I can explore the relationships between plants, animals, people, and the land.
  • I can demonstrate ways to care for living things and natural spaces.
  • I can ask questions and make observations about the natural world around me.
  • I can record what I notice using pictures, words, and labels.
English Language Arts and Literature (ELAL)
  • I can listen to and share ideas about my experiences in nature.
  • I can ask questions and communicate my observations about plants, animals, and the environment.
  • I can use drawings, labels, words, and sentences to share my learning.
  • I can read and respond to stories, teachings, and informational texts about the land and living things.
  • I can build and use new vocabulary related to nature, stewardship, and community.
  • I can create simple texts that describe what I observe and learn outdoors.
  • I can participate in conversations that show respect for different perspectives and experiences.
Connection to Truth and Reconciliation
  • I can show respect for the land and living things.
  • I can recognize that the land is important to many people and communities.
  • I can demonstrate responsibility by helping care for our learning grounds.
  • I can understand that caring for the land is one way we show gratitude and reciprocity.
  • I can learn from the stories, knowledge, and experiences that help us understand our relationship with the land.












See you all on Monday friends for our last week of GRADE 1!!!!

Ms. Craik

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Farewell Grade 1 Families – Have a Wonderful Summer! As we reach the end of another amazing school year (even though it was interrupted wi...